Tuesday 17 December 2013

Early

I was gonna do this tomorrow, but I'm bored and can’t sleep so hear I go. Time to start this story, shall we?

Time went by so very slowly for me. Sitting up in my bed, I gather my covers around my body, shivers running through me as the chill tried to creep in like a creepy crawler. The figure-of-speech itself sent shivers through my spine as I tossed my blanket over my shoulders, like I was throwing up some defensive shield to defend against trolls from the fantasy books I often read.
Speaking of books, I peeked out of my own personal blanket armour to spot my current read on an oak table beside my bed. I weighed the options; risk the cold to grab it quickly? I didn't think it would be that easy as I also forgot to register in the fact that on top of my favourite book, sat a very uneducational digital clock. I felt the sinister air from that clock as it mocked me. Wrestling the warm and cozy fabric that was my life line, I tried to pull my arm free of it.

Wobbling, I felt the ground beneath me turn as I braced for the… hard….ness… that was my hard wood floor. I hit the ground with a thud that took my breath away so fast, I swear my ears were ringing like a bomb had just exploded nearbye. It may as well have for all I was concerned. I only vaguely heard a thump at my door. Wriggling away slowly, still winded, I tried to escape under my bed, before the obtrusive being crashed through my door like always, but to no avail as the door slammed open and a click followed. I knew what was coming, but I couldn't shy away fast enough as the light seared through my eyes and into my very own soul. I hissed and flinched dramatically as I tried to resist the lure of the light. The powerful light. Stinging light. Tormenting light. Not-so-bad light. Actually-kinda-nice light.
No! Don’t go into the light!

A figure stood before me then and I squinted up at the gigantic figure, refusing to let my eyes adjust to this perilous light. I vaguely thought of the trolls from my book and I shrunk away drastically as I imagined this towering being leaning down and making a short meal of me.
“Please don’t eat me good foul beast! For I taste stringy and of cat litter and- and-” I fought for other words, realizing a troll probably wouldn't know or even care for the litter in which a mini tigress made her dirt more then a few thousand times a day.
The beast leaned down with more grace than a troll should have, and I froze at the possibilities of these new races that had opened up before my eyes. Maybe I should let my eyes adjust after all…..
No! You must never give in! This is what they want!

I narrowed my eyes at the thought, only to suddenly feel myself spin against the floor as the beast tugged the end of the robes of protection. I counter attacked quickly, shouting out a perfect spell as I struggled to keep my robe. That’s when I realized that I wasn't a spell caster and probably just confused the thing, whatever it was.
I heard a very familiar sigh as the rest was yanked out from under me. In my ears, I heard the beast roar as I cowered on the floor, my eyes to the light as I shivered in my thin clothing.
That was when, my eyes adjusted, finally, to the light. I felt defeat deep in my throat, tainting my very breaths as I prepared my own funeral mentally. Eyes wide, I didn't blink as I faced the artificial monstrosity that was a modern day light bulb, efficiently shattering my own fantasy world in one fell swoop. I felt burned by this accursed light, and this time, I let myself bake in it. At least until a shadow fell upon me.
I heard every word this time as I looked into eyes that could kill right at that moment.
“You’re kidding right?” The words spoke of a rhetorical point but I opened my mouth to answer anyway.
My answer was silenced with a swift move of her fingers.

“Why does this happen every morning? I tell you to wake up, and we have to act like it’s a freaking war zone? When will you grow up, Naomi?” Another rhetorical point. Wow, she was on a role this morning.
I sat up very suddenly and she backed away slightly, I took pleasure in this, think maybe i’d startled her.
That’s right dear sister. Even I can be unpredictable.
Seeing my smug look, the look from my sisters face made me blush. Sometimes I swore she was a prophet reborn.

Getting my thoughts back on track, I looked her square in her golden amber eyes, drama seeping from my gestures as I felt a classic intense-stare-down-movie-moment. I felt passionate about it right then as I slowly stood, my fingers leaving the ground behind as I stood to eye level of my sister. I narrowed my eyes and paused for the effect, trying to not argue with myself for thinking the cues might ruin the moment for me. I moved my eyes, to look at her eyebrows, in thought, making it seem like I was actually considering my words carefully before I lit the light bulb in my eyes, theoretically of course.
“I'm sorry dear sister, I never hear you speak when you say you do. Maybe you should try another language. That way our interactions may be worth something.” I stated in a rising voice of almost agitation, but not quite, to raise the drama higher than it had been in the previous mornings.
I almost had a fangirl moment about this, (which can only be described as falling to the ground and squealing, rolling around for god-knows-how-long, with this face: >w< and chanting the word drama over and over), As I imagined this, I felt a shiver rush through me as I realized how creepy it looked to normal people. I mentally shrugged just as I noticed my sister trembling, her face as stark red as the fire in her eyes.
“God! You are so weird! Why did I have to get such a weird sister!” She yelled in what I would describe as frustration, before storming out and slamming my door behind her.

I smirked in triumph, another foe defeated that morning. As a reward, I walked toward my beside table and snuck my book out from under my clock without waking the merciless thing up, a difficult task that needed to be done no less than the others. Sitting down upon my beds surface, I opened to the place of the elvish bookmark I had in place to watch over and protect my main character from the trolls while I slept.
As I launched into the world of Faerun, I wondered what kind of action I had missed due to the annoying basic necessities of lowly humans.

2 comments:

  1. what a creative mind you have! let it run wild, Gal, you have talent!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really good! keep writing.

    ReplyDelete